Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Akuma :: Chibi Raging Demon

Hello Blog!

Today, on this fine Monday evening, I would like to share a drawing I did of Akuma from Street Fighter.

This is one bad ass design for a character. The way he looks says so much about him. He is powerful, angry and full of rage. I love how his hair resembles flames. I'm aware that I am geeking out on this design even as I type this!

So, drawing a cute chibi version of him is kind of tough, cause on one hand you are drawing something kind of cute and fun, while on the other hand you still want to keep the aspects of the design that tell us so much about his character, which in this case are not so cute and friendly. It's not my place to say weather I have succeded or failed in finding the right balance of cute and bad ass, but this is what I was going for.

I have to say that this version is kind of more kid-like than what I would call "chibi". Well, I enjoyed the hell out of drawing this guy cause he is one of my favourite characters, even though I tend to use Guile way more when I play the game. If you played me on Street Fighter you would loose. Just saying! Uness you are Justin Wong, or the dude that beat him in this video of amazing SKILL! Go to 2:37 to see what the fuss is about. I love SFIII.

As always, I thought you might like to see the pencils and inks behind the piece. And in case anyone is wondering, this one is already sold and will be flying to his new home along with a copy of my artbook as soon as I have them in my hands and ready to ship out. Inked with copic pens and brush pen.

So, there you have it... my chibi Akuma.

cheers!

Jon.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy f'n wow! That's a really, really slick interpretation of Akuma in a style that, as you said, maybe isn't normally the most kind to a character of his type. I think you've completely captured the badass nature while getting a bit of the cute chibi aspect going. I'm having a hard time not picturing the rest of the SF gang done like this, almost like some bizarre Saturday morning 'toon. Nice work!

Red J said...

Hey Justin!

Thanks man... actually, I believe this little Akuma belongs to you if I am not mistaken. You will be getting the original and a colour print with your book... coming soon! :)

J.

Unknown said...

You are correct, sir! I have to say that when I saw this on DA I had to work hard to suppress the squee moment. I'm looking forward to the book and this extra slice of awesome pie. Love your style, and I'm glad I had a chance to pitch in.

Anonymous said...

I love looking at the progression of drawings. From a quick sketch to the final colored piece. Nice work, man!

Unknown said...

I there, I find this image in the Internet and I'm gonna use in my blog. It's a shitty game's blog but it is in portuguese.If you still wanna see it there you go:

http://jonhgame.blogspot.pt/

I tink there is the goggle tradutor in the top. Remember, it's shitty.